Monday, August 15, 2011

Glee--Why it didnt translate



I am a HUGE Glee fan; hell, I am a huge Musical Theater fan in general.  I love going to see musicals and I set my DVR to record Glee every Tuesday during the season however, even in all of my fandom (I even went to a Glee sing-a-long that didnt have any of the cast members; just a band and a lounge singer doing covers) I knew that I wasnt going to see the concert movie that premiered last Friday. 


Why? BECAUSE CONCERT MOVIES GENERALLY SUCK!!!!!  Think of any concert movie that DIDNT debut because the primary performer passed away (MJ we love you but we all know that if 'This Is It' were released as a concert movie while you were alive that it would have BOMBED horrendously) and you will agree that they are usually very boring.  Glee, unfortunately, proved to be no exception.  You have the regular cast singing the exact same arrangement from the show AND from their nationwide concert tour that has already been attended by millions of Gleeks.  I know that their target market consists of tweeners and teeny boppers who will spend their money on ANYTHING but even they wont pay for something that they can see for free on TV and hear for free on itunes and youtube and anything else electronic.

Let this be a lesson to other concert/movie promoters:  Dont try to shove the exact same product down our throats over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over....at least take notes from the producers of Final Destination and Saw; they have the exact same movies with the same formulas each time but the twist is always a little different.  When you do a concert movie at least debut a few new songs or arrangements or costumes or SOMETHING. 

And I will not even begin to address the fact that its in 3-D.

I love Glee and will be watching this season with the same vigor that I have watched the previous ones but I cant say that I will be going to pay to see the movie; I'd rather keep my $8 and watch the performances on my DVR...or on YouTube...or iTunes or.....

No comments:

Post a Comment